Young Health Programme Egypt
Four urban communities spread across 5 of the 27 urban districts in Egypt’s Greater Cairo region: Al-Marj, Ezbet Khair Allah, Al Basatin and Al as-Mraat.
2021 - 2025
According to the World Health Organisation, non-communicable diseases (NCDs) account for 84% of all deaths in Egypt, with a 28% risk of premature death between 30 and 70 years. Cardiovascular disease and cancer are the leading cause of death, accounting for 40% and 13% respectively1.
Improve the health and well-being of young people by increasing their knowledge on NCD prevention, increasing their capacity to make informed decisions about their health, improving health services and advocating for a supportive policy environment for young people.
The direct beneficiaries of the programme are 61,480 young people aged 10-24 and over 2,140 teachers, parents, health professionals and government and civil society stakeholders from the targeted communities in Cairo, who will be reached through working with youth centres, schools, families, health facilities and other community structures.
An additional 400,000 young people aged 10-24 and 180,000 members of the wider community will be reached indirectly through campaigns, events and other YHP awareness raising activities, in the targeted communities in Cairo.
1. Empower young people through building knowledge and skills on NCD prevention, enabling them to take informed decisions about their health, using peer education and community outreach.
2. Mobilise communities including schools, families and community stakeholders on NCD prevention and the broader health of young people, to create a supportive and enabling environment for young people.
3. Strengthen health services to meet the needs of young people.
4. Advocate for a policy environment that supports NCD prevention and promotes the broader health of young people.
Plan International Egypt has over 30 years’ experience of working with young people in Cairo and is responsible for the overall implementation of the programme.
El Shorafa for Developing Rural Community is a community-based organisation working with young people and local communities in the Greater Cairo area since 1985.
El Noor Association for Social Aid is a community-based organisation which has been implementing projects targeting girls and boys in Ezbet Khair Allah area in Giza since 2004.
1. WHO, 2018, Noncommunicable diseases country profiles 2018: Egypt. Available at https://www.who.int/nmh/countries/2018/egy_en.pdf?ua=1 accessed January 2021