The local context
Spain was experiencing increasing obesity, drug use and negative health issues among young people in disadvantaged communities.
Educate and encourage adolescents to adopt a healthy lifestyle
Sex education, healthy eating habits and prevention of drug addiction for young people aged 13 to 18.
Workshops in schools and in the community with supporting educational resources focusing, for example, on:
- Developing positive sexual relationships and preventing unwanted pregnancies and sexually transmitted diseases
- Building adolescents’ self-esteem and educating adolescents about their physical and emotional development
- Developing the foundations of basic health, for example, tooth brushing and general hygiene
- Teaching families about the importance of a good diet and providing nutritional advice
- Preventing drug addiction
AstraZeneca employees supported the programme by fundraising and volunteering – providing input to talks to adolescents and their families about drug addiction prevention, and arranging celebrations for young people at Christmas.